Rest, Sleep and guidelines
Rest is the act of relaxing either by sitting or lying down. During rest the mind and muscles are relaxed but your are still awake and aware or conscious of what is happening around you. Your can, for instance, still hear sounds.
Sleep is a complete or deeper form of rest. During sleep, you can become unaware or unconscious of what is happening around you. At the same time the body and brain get complete rest.
Importance of rest and sleep
1) The body relaxes and energy is built up for a future use.
2) Broken body tissues can be repaired and make ready for further activity.
3) Muscles relax, the heart beats more slowly and breathing becomes shallow.
4) Rest is the cure for fatigue or tiredness.
5) The night sleep is nature's way of restoring the energy and rebuilding the body tissues which were used during the day.
Guidelines for rest and sleep
- Loosen all tight clothing when you are resting or sleeping.
- Rest after meals and strenuous activities or exercises.
- Rest after school before playing or doing household work.
- When lying down do not curl up into a ball to sleep. Try to lie long or straight. Maintain good sleeping posture.
- Got to bed early so as to wake up fresh and ready for the next day's work.
- Ensure that your bedroom is well-ventilated.
- Your bed and mattress should be smooth, firm and comfortable.
- Your sleeping garments should be lose and soft.