Perishable foods are those that can spoil easily. Examples of perishable foods are fresh meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, milk, butter, etc.
Hints on storage of perishable foods:
1. Fresh meat and fish can be stored in the freezer.
2. Fruits and vegetables can be stores at the lowest part of the refrigerator. Some fruits and vegetable can also be stored in the freezer for prolonged periods for example tomatoes, pepper, washed bitter leaf, sedans etc.
3. Prolonged storage of fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator can cause some of them to lose their tastes, colours and even their nutritive values.
4. Perishable foods can also be purchased into forms that can store for fairly long periods. For instance come vegetables and fruits can be dried, while fish and meat can be smoked.
Non-perishable foods are those foods that do not spoil easily. These can keep for a long time of stored properly. Non-perishable foods include rice, different types of beans, flours, sugar, yam, dried maize. These foods can be bought in bulk and stored outside the refrigerator.
Hints on storage of non-perishable foods.
1. Store only foods that are free from weevils and other insects. Weevils are small insects which destroy grains and pulses for example maize, beans, rice, etc.
2. Store food in dry and well covered containers.
3. Foods such as beans, maize, soya bean, etc. can be stored for very long periods in air-tight plastic containers.
importance of proper storage of food:
1. It prevents food from spoilage.
2. It prevents loss of food nutrients.
3. It helps the homemaker to save money.
4. It saves time and energy for going to the market always.