Cleaning of Glass Windows and Doors
It is important to clean the windows and doors in your home especially if they are made of glass for proper and good appearance.
1. Remove surface dust by dusting with clean soft lintless cloth.
2. Rub thoroughly with a second clean cloth.
1. Remove the curtains or pin them out of the way.
2. Protect the floor around the window or door with old newspaper or plastic sheet.
3. Dust the window or door to remove surface dust.
4. Clean the window or door frame according to type.
5. Wash the glass pane with soapy water and soft lintless cloth.
- Alternatively: clean with a pad of crushed newspaper dipped in warm water.
6. Begin cleaning at the top of the window or door and work downwards.
7. Always clean both sides of the glass.
8. Remove greasy finger marks ( especially in the kitchen) with vinegar and water.
10. After washing rinse with a clean cloth wrung out in clean water.
11. Dry with a clean, soft, dry lintless cloth.
12. Avoid the use of pressure when cleaning any form of glass. This may lead to breakage and even injure the worker.
1. Soak glassware used for milk or starch in cold water and those used for grease in warm water.
2. Provide a plastic basin of warm soapy water, and another of clean water.
3. Wash the glasses one at a time in the soapy water using soft cloth. Avoid the use of abrasive.
4. Rinse thoroughly in the clean water. Change the rinsing water before it becomes soapy.
5. Place the ware upside down on a clean board or other suitable surface to drain.
6. Dry thoroughly with clean dish cloth while the ware is still warm. Polish off with a second dry clean dish cloth.
7. Store properly. Place each upside down to keep out dust.
Cleaning of water bottles and flower vases
Glass water bottles can be a source of infection if left to be dirty. It is easily stained by dirt that settles in the base. Flower vases should also be kept clean.
1. Empty the bottle and rinse out with clean water.
2. Remove any special stains by any of the following ways:
- pour into the bottle a solution of 1 part of vinegar to 2 parts of water or 1 table spoonful of salt in 1 cup of water. Shake well and rinse out.
- pour fine sand into the bottle and shake well. Remove the sand and rinse with water.
3. Wash the inside of the bottle with warm soapy water using a suitable clean bottle brush.
4. Wash the outside with clean sponge.
5. Rinse thoroughly with warm clean water. A glass flower vase can also be cleaned. It can be dried and polished with a dry clean cloth.