Care of Polished Wood Surface
Polishing is used as a finish to improve the natural beauty of colour or grain of wood surface. It gives a high gloss finish. Commonly polished wooden surfaces in the home are cupboards, wall-dividers, office table, side boards, etc.
To care for polished wood surface
1. Dust to remove surface dirt. Use soft non-fluffy cloth.
2. If the surface is too dirty, wipe over with clean cloth wrung out in a solution of water and vinegar (1/2 table spoonful of vinegar to 2 litres of water).
3. Do not place hot objects on the surface. Heat softens and removes the polish. This causes heat marks.
4. Do not use abrasive on polished wood surface.
5. Avoid spilling liquids on polished surface. Wipe off any spilling immediately.
6. Occasionally polish the wood with a piece of cloth.
- Choose the correct polish.
- Apply very little polish with a piece of cloth.
- Rub it thoroughly into the wood.
7. A polished wood surface can become badly worn with untidy marks. When this occurs the finishing can be totally removed and the surface re polished by a carpenter.
Care of Formica Surfaces and Uses of Wood
Formica is commonly used as a finishing for table tops and other wood surfaces. It comes in different colours and designs.
1. Simply clean with clean damp cloth and dry thoroughly.
2. When it becomes too dirty:
- Clean with soapy water and clean cloth.
- Rinse well and dry thoroughly.
3. When food or dirt particles stick to the formica surface:
- Do not scrape with a sharp object.
- Rather soak with water and rub off using soft cloth.
4. Avoid placing very hot objects directly on a formica top. Always use a suitable table mat to protect the top.
Uses of Wood
Wood is used for the following:
1) Building houses.
2) Making furniture for example beds, cupboards, chairs, drawers, etc.
3) Making decorative pieces for example carvings, frames for pictures, etc.
4) As fuel used for cooking.
5) Making cooking utensils for example wooden spoons, chopping boards, pestle and mortar, etc.
6) Making musical instruments and toys for example clappers.