The basic sewing process include the stitches, seams, edge finishes, facing, openings, fastenings. All these processes are important in making garments. You need to learn more processes and make more simple personal garments.
Arrangement of fullness:
Fullness in clothing construction means the provision of extra allowance in the garment. This fullness can be created or controlled using darts, tucks, gathers, easing pleats. There are obviously certain informations that only who works or had worked at a tailoring school could give consigning the making of a simple and professional garment.
Darts are tapered folds of fabric. They are stitches on the wrong side of a garment section. Darts can be straight, curved or double pointed.
Uses of darts: most people (or rather tailors) may find it difficult making a simple dart. Here are some procedure:
- They control fullness.
- They turn flat fabric into shapes to fit the human figure.
To make a dart:
- mark the pattern lines properly.
- fold the material with the right sides facing and pattern lines together or matching.
- pin and tack the dart along the pattern lines.
- stitch from the broad end.
- knot the ends of the thread.
- press the art to one side of the stitching.
- if the material is thick and does not fray, cut along the fold to within 2 cm of the point. Then open the turns.