All these theatres were built according to the principle of the open amphitheatre.
Shakespeare's playhouse, The Globe, which as built on the site of Burbage's The Theatre in 1599, was one such open aphiteatre.
It consisted of a three-storey wooden construction of galleries that sorrounded a yard or central open space.
Theself, it stage was an element wooden platform about five feet high, described as an apron stage due to its widenting rectangular shape, which protruded from one side of the gallerie raised wnen into the yard.
The stage was covered by a roof, called the "heavens" , which protected the actors from the rain.
Behind the stage were the tiring houses, or dressing rooms, which were conneted to the stage by doors through which actors would enter and exit.
Above the stage, the tarras, a type of small balcony, could supplement stage space, and on either side of the terras, the musicians were seated in smaller balconies or minstrel galleries.
On the stage, trap-doors were fitted to allow bfor special effects.
Meccanichal contructions of pulleys were often fitted to allow aerial liftings of characters and scenery, usually the theatrical trone, which could be lowered or raised when necessary.