The songs of work and emigration between '800 and' 900
The beginning of the twentieth century has been marked by struggles for work that often, especially in the fields, is accompanied by the songs of the peasants.
The evidence of the presence of music in work situations are countless.
Why music? For what reasons sang and played in the workplace?
The functions of music in the work are different:
1) coordination function: the musical rhythm helps to make all together, in time, the movement to make efficacce collective effort;
2) tightening function: the rhythmic regularity helps make it relaxing and automatic movements: This places a great saving of energy;
3) psychological relief function: to sing and listen to music distracts from fatigue;
4) political function: the chant workers feel the group and get to do, of his own songs, true "flags Sheet" in the fight to claim their rights;
Video Memo related
5) commercial function: respond to this function calls sung by street vendors and craftsmen.
The Songs of weeders
Until a few years ago the rice fields of the Po Valley were weeded by hand weeders curves that spent their days in the sun, his feet and hands in the water. The hardships and hopes of these women today are reflected in an extensive repertoire of work songs, with which they were trying to relieve fatigue. An example is the song My love do not cry.
The Songs of the emigrants
In the years between 1875 and 1920 more than 5 million subjects of the Kingdom, as they were called the people of the Kingdom of Italy emigrated to America.
The first phase of migration that came roughly at the end of 1800 was characterized by a strong migration from the regions of the 'Northern Italy to the United States, Brazil and Argentina.
A testament to the sadness with which migrants lived the separation from the homeland and the sense of 'uncertainty about their future is Mama give me my hundred pounds.
This famous ballad is an example of adaptation to the emigration of a hand oldest. In the original she was sung by a girl who had left the house for love against the wishes maternal but here are narrated the adventures of a young immigrant who abandoned the house died in the sinking of the ship.