The great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby was written in 1925 by Francis Fitzgerald.
StructureIt is divided in nine chapters.
SettingTime setting: The Roaring Twenties
- Manhattan: (east part, where lived rich people who have inherited their money);
- Long Island (west part, where new rich lived: people who has earned their money.
To arrive to the other part they had to cross the vale of ashes, a waste, desolate land.
Characters- Nick: he lives near Gatsby.
- Jordan: dishonest and careless.
- Daisy: beautiful but empty.
- Tom: aggressive and full of prejudices.
The heroGatsby is a sort of Byronic hero: he has mysterious origin, is a lonely person, he’s very attractive, he seems hard but tender inside.He’s presented bit by bit: by parties’ gossips. He is introduced only in the third chapter: he is youth and good-looking. Gatsby’s dream is to delete the past and have Daisy back.
He’s a tragic hero: he has a flow, Daisy.
He is a romantic hero: he sacrifices himself for an ideal.
He is ‘great’ because he is the only one who lives for something, the others are aimless, drifters and restless.
StyleThe story is retrospective: Nick writes it when he is came back from the Middenwest.
There is the first person narrator as an observer.