Video appunto: Edge Finishing
The basic sewing processes are the basic skills you need to acquire in order to make a garment. It is important to know some basic processes, namely: stitches and seams with seam finishes. There's a need to learn more about seeing processes which you may need for making simple garments or sewing your house clothes.
Edge finishing is the process of neatening the raw edge of articles or garments. Necklines, hems or low edges, open seams, waist lines of gannets and skirts require different types of finishes.
Uses of edge finishing:
1. To neaten the edge of the garment.
2. To secure the edge and prevent fraying or ravelling of fabric.
3. To decorate an edge for example using bias binding for finishing necklines and armholes.
Types of edge finishings
Raw edges can be finished by any of the following processes:
- pink finishing
- bound finishing.
Points to consider in choosing an edge finish:
1. The type of material or fabric to be finished - for instance closely woven fabric which do not fray or ravel may simply be finished with pinking shears.
2. The shape of the edge to be finished - for instance curved edges that stretch for example necklines, arm holes, etc. can be finished with bias binding.
3. The purpose of the finishing - for instance the finishing can be for decoration, as with some bound finishes.