Adolescence is the period of growing up. It is that stage in every person's life that lies between the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. As boys and girls pass through adolescence they relate to each other. They tend to have friends of the opposite sex. They learn about each other. At this period it becomes important that adolescents be properly taught about the issues relating to sex, courtship, marriage and pregnancy. If they are not properly taught, they can learn it wrongly from sources such as novels, films, peers, etc. This wrong learning result in different types of problems.
Courtship is a process of relationship which leads to marriage. Courtship period is the time during which the young man and woman intending to marry each other, move about more closely with each other. At this period they get to know each other better. Courtship practices often differ with cultures and even families. In all cultures however, courtship may be marked by some activities or characteristics.
Characteristic features or activities involved with courtship:
1. The intending partners find out more about each other for example their likes and dislikes.
2. They determine how well suited they are to go into a lasting union (marriage).
3. They find out how each is accepted in the other's family.
4. They learn about each other's family customs and traditions and ways of life.
5. They find out the extent to which they really love and care for each other.
6. They discuss their future plans together.