It is important to understand the difference between count and unconut nouns.
We can say three cups, two girls, ten pounds. We can count them.
- Count nouns can be singular or plural.
- Uncount nouns can only be singular
- We use much with uncount nouns in questions and negatives
- We use many with count nouns in questions and negatives
- Some is used in positive sentences
- Any is used in questions and negatives
- We can use some in questions that are requests or offers
- The rules are the same for the compounds someone, anything, anybody, somewhere, etc.
- We use a few with count nouns
- We use a little with uncount nouns
- We use a lot/lots of with both count and uncount nouns
- A lot/lots of can be used in questions and negatives