Video appunto: Customs and Windbreak


Customs or customs duties are the taxes you pay on things you take across international borders. The place at the border where you have to declare what things you are bringing across the border and possibly pay customs duties is also called customs. Passing through this area is called going through customs.

The European Union is a customs union, so you don't need to go through customs if you are only travelling between two member states.
When I flew home to England from Spain, I got stopped at customs because I was carrying an Iberian ham. Apparently you can't take meat products across the border, including ham.
Customs is also a word for general cultural practices or traditions.
When you move to a new place, you have to get used to all the new customs and norms, as cultural differences are often more important than geographical ones.
When I lived in Korea, I studied the language and I could communicate fairly well. But it was much harder to learn all the different customs, as the traditions and rules of politeness were very complex.


A windbreak is a barrier that protects an area from the wind. It is usually made up of a row of trees.
Many farmers use evergreen trees for their windbreaks, as they don't lose their leaves in winter and protect the house and fields from wind all year long.
Mr. Wilson's farm was quite close to ours, but I couldn't see it very well because we had a large windbreak on the boundary dividing our properties.
A windbreaker is a light springtime jacket that mostly protects you from the cool wind and rain but does not have a thick layer to protect from really cold weather.
When I go jogging, I usually just wear sweatpants and a windbreaker. I get too hot if I wear a full winter coat.
Sally brought a windbreaker on the hiking trip in case it was a bit chilly in the mountains, or in case it rained there.