Reforms and measures in the second half of the nineteenth century England, during the Victorian era
Dammacco of Dammacco
Hominid 50 points
The England of the second half of
The England of the second half of the nineteenth century, which coincides with the Victorian age, is characterized by a lower degree of conflict between the different political forces and for a series of democratic achievements that make the country the forefront. There are three themes fono:
• The problem of Ireland
• The constitutional restructuring
• Reforms to the benefit of workers
1) With regard to Ireland, in 1873 was founded a movement for independence attainment -Home Rule-whose program envisages that Ireland will become precisely autonomous province, with its own parliament, but Irish Protestants, worried about being pre-loaded by the Catholic majority, they show against. This project is intended to stay in the long unfulfilled, becoming less and less popular in England because of the perpetual violence of extremists Irish implementing a series of terrorist attacks.
2) The issue of restructuring the constitutional and social reforms that are connected and influence each other. This program consists of:
- Abolition of special legislation work
- Capacity of the strike and picketing
- New electoral law: the right to vote is granted to workers of agriculture, expanding the electorate → start of "municipal socialism" that allows to realize the collective management of public services and to create welfare institutions.
- Tax reform: introduction of the progressive income tax and inheritance tax. Thus the greatest tax burden now lies on the upper classes. The law was passed by the House of Commons. Superre for the opposition of the House of Lords you resort to a procedural reform for which he became executive every bill that, for the second time rejected by the upper house, is approved for two consecutive times from that of common → the center of power moves from the landed gentry to industrial groups, financial, commercial
- The establishment of a committee of labor representation in Parliament-Labour party → expansion of social legislation and social insurance vary port.