Social Change and Economic Life Initiative
Map of Great Britain
• Aberdeen: Oil capital of Europe. Virtually
unemployment-free. Large regional city in North East
• Coventry: ‘Motown’- traditional centre of the motor
industry. High unemployment.
• Kirkcaldy: traditionally a coal mining and manufacturing
centre- recently there had been an influx of computer
firms [‘Silicon Glen’].
• Northampton: traditional centre for shoe production,
recently emerged as a logistics and financial services
• Swindon: ‘Sunrise City’- traditional centre for the
manufacture of railroad equipment. Fastest growing town
in Western Europe during the 1980s,
Rochdale [Lancaster Team]
• Class: one of the earliest towns on the
planet to industrialize. Massive working
class presence by 1850.
• Gender: the main industry historically was
textiles. Paid employment for women the
norm since the mid nineteenth century.
• Ethnicity: large inflow of international
migrants from the Indian subcontinent
during 1950s and 1960s.
Rochdale: Cultural Distinctiveness
• Home ownership very high by 1880s.
• Household incomes highest in Europe by 1880s
• Emergence of ‘fast food’ industry: proto-
McDonaldization [cf Ritzer and Walton].
• Emergence of strong trade unions during the
• Growth of leisure industries: holidaying and
professional spectator sports [football, rugby
league and cricket]
General Theoretical Starting Points
• Weberian Sociology: class is a complex system. There
are other important aspects of social stratification
• Neo-Ricardian Economics: asymmetric conflict between
capital and labour. Indeterminate outcomes.
• ‘Annales’ school of Structuralist History: social change is
a relatively slow process. Distinction between ‘structure’.
‘conjuncture’ and ‘events’.
• All share the approach of suggesting appropriate ways
of seeing not what is seen [analagous to a camera/ MRI]
+1 anno fa
I contenuti di questa pagina costituiscono rielaborazioni personali del Publisher Atreyu di informazioni apprese con la frequenza delle lezioni di Social Change and Economic Life in Britain e studio autonomo di eventuali libri di riferimento in preparazione dell'esame finale o della tesi. Non devono intendersi come materiale ufficiale dell'università Bologna - Unibo o del prof Penn Roger.
Acquista con carta o conto PayPal
Scarica il file tutte le volte che vuoi
Paga con un conto PayPal per usufruire della garanzia Soddisfatto o rimborsato