Embedded Systems Technology - General-Purpose Processors: Software
General-Purpose Processor are:
– Processor designed for a variety of computation tasks;
– Low unit cost, in part because manufacturer spreads NRE over large numbers of units (Motorola sold half a billion 68HC05 microcontrollers in 1996 alone);
– Carefully designed since higher NRE is acceptable (can yield good performance, size and power);
– Low NRE cost, short time-to-market/prototype, high flexibility (user just writes software; no processor design);
– a.k.a. microprocessor: micro used when they were implemented on one or a few chips rather than entire rooms.