Domande di inglese e relative risposte: Keats:
1. Two types of beauty for Keats. He finds two aspects in beauty. There is the physical beauty, which is temporary and decaying, and the spiritual beauty, which is eternal and immortal. Unlike Wordsworth, Keats believed that beauty was direct.
2. Who did Keats anticipate? He anticipated the Pre-Raphaelites in his use of symbols and the Aesthetes in the principle of “art for art’s sake”.
3. Does the Grecian Urn really exist? No, he probably imagine this in all her details. It is the source of his inspiration.
4. What is negative capability for Keats? This is the ability to experience “uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason”. So, he can seek sensation, which is the basis of knowledge.
5. The love in the Grecian Urn is eternal. Yes, because the boy will never be able to kiss the girl, but he will love her forever. And she will be beautiful forever.
6. What the author wants to underline in the repetition of the third stanza? His exclamation sentences, with the repetition of “happy” and “for ever”, complete the identification of the poet with the Urn. He underlines the eternal power of love.
7. Two types of love for Keats. We find the love for human beings like in the scenes of the two young lovers, and the love for the art, especially for Greek world and his ideal expression of beauty.
8. Why is the urn “a friend to man”? Because the urn said that “Beauty is truth, truth beauty”. This is all we know on earth and all we need to know.
9. Why in the last stanza the urn is “cold”? Because Keats reveals that the urn is of marble, overwrought, and he had a silent form.
10. The difference between real melodies and unheard melodies. Real melodies are enjoyed through the ear, the unheard melodies are a creation of the mind.
11. What is the priest doing? He was preparing an heifer, that is lowing to the sky, for a sacrifice on the green altar.
12. Why doesn’t the boy of the Urn suffer? Because the beauty of his lover cannot fade, she will be fair forever and he will love her forever.