- lack of memory
- no sense of past
- a person with no memory or past is not a completely individuum
- sense of impotence
- the individuum is unable to move on with his life, to move physically and go away, unable to formulate complex thoughts.
Simplified childish language. Didi and Gogo use a simple, ripetitive language, with occasional sense of humor.
- Didi and Gogo are two tramps/clochard, but here represent the whole humanity, we find them on a country road near a crossroads, the landscape is bare and they stay there waiting something or someone able to change their life. this someone is Godot.
Theatre of absurde
Whoose main themes are:
- confinement / isolation
- inability to communicate
Even the bad ground is bare, the condition of each man is miserable.
Why he wrote this work in French?
- It was a deliberate choice;
- writing in French means discipline;
- economy of word and expressions;
- all employed to explore the most important element, which is the human nature