Hereford and Worcester
Hereford and Worcester, in the West, was one of the 39 historic counties of the country. Hereford and Worcester was an English county created on 1 April 1974, by the Local Government Act 1972 from the area of the former administrative county of Herefordshire, most of Worcestershire and the county borough of Worcester. Worcestershire was inside, Herefordshire was outside
It was abolished in 1998 and reverted, with some trading of territory, to the two separate historic counties of Herefordshire and Worcestershire
The Local Government proposed in 1948 a merger of the two counties, but that proposal were abandoned and not implemented. Under the Local Government Bill as introduced into Parliament in November 1971, it was named Malvernshire, after Malvern, a town roughly in the geographical centre of the new county. The name was subject to ridicule and was altered during the Bill's passage through Parliament. The name Wyvern was also suggested, combining the names of the rivers that run through the two cities: the River Wye through Hereford, and the River Severn through Worcester.
The city of Worcester was the capital of the state. The area occupied today by the city has been inhabited since the Neolithic. Then it was conquered by the Romans and later by the Anglo-Sassoni.Nel late Middle Ages, the population had reached high levels and the textile industry had become a very important component of the economy. In the fifties and sixties of last century, large sections of the medieval quarter were demolished. The current borders of the city date back to 1974 when they were absorbed into the city limits, the community of Warndon and St Peter the Great. The most important monument is a Gothic cathedral which dominates the left bank of the River Seven.
The city of Hereford was founded by the Saxons in the seventh century and was on the border with Wales. Initially, he had a military role, but after the defeat of the Welsh by Edward I, the city lost this role and prospered with the wool trade. In December 1853 created a railroad that connects the cities of South Wales and in subsequent years in Worcester, Gloucester and Brecon. Thanks to the railway communications was the development of the pulse, especially the production of bricks. During World War II, for the isolation of the city that protected it from air raids, we began the production of ammunition. The most important Cathedral is the Hereford Cathedral and it was built on the site of the tomb of St Ethelbert.
Due to the disparity of sizes of the populations – Herefordshire had about 140,000 people, much less than Worcestershire, which had a population of about 420,000 – it was perceived by Herefordshire as a takeover rather than a merger, and it never attracted the loyalties of residents. A Hereford bull was led down Whitehall on 6 April 1972, as part of a protest, which also involved a petition handed in at 10 Downing Street calling for the preservation of Herefordshire.
Than Hereford and Worcester is divided into nine districts
As part of the 1990s English local government reform, the Local Government Commission recommended that Herefordshire should become a unitary authority, with the rest of the county retaining a two-tier structure. This came into effect on 1 April 1998. A new Herefordshire district was formed and became a unitary authority. The remainder of those two districts became a new Malvern Hills district, in the new two-tier county of Worcestershire, along with the remaining districts.
Despite the abolition, some remnants of Hereford & Worcester's existence remain. For example, there is still a Hereford and Worcester Fire Service. Also, the name is still used by some organisations, such as the BBC local radio station BBC Hereford and Worcester. There is also a Hereford and Worcester Chamber of Commerce.”