Britain is a musical nation and it is said that the most musically intelligent audiences are found there. Orchestral playing and choir singing are held in the famous concert halls like The Royal Festival Hall, The Barbican Hall, or The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. Such concerts are attended almost daily by both old and young in great numbers. Covent Garden in the English equivalent of La Scala in Milan and most of the famous opera singers have performed here. For most opera singers performing at Covent Garden is a must and a goal to strive for because of the stature it brings.
It must also be remembered that, especially in london, there are many theatres where live performences are held daily and some plays in particular run for years on end.
Naturally there are theatres all over the country. Leeds, Bath and Edinburgh have some of the finest, and superb plays are performed regularly.
Apart from classical and operit music, London in particular has become the centre of pop music. This phenomenon began in the late 50’s but it was only in the 60’s that this type of music took on a leading role. It is not an exaggeration to say that since then British pop group have dominated the world charts for their appeal to the younger generations.
Apart from groups like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones many others have followed in their footsteps, to name but a few: Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Take That, Pink Floyd, Boyzone and The Spice Gilrs. Solo artists include Rod Stewart, Phin Collins, Elton John, Lisa Stansfield, Robbie Williams.
1) Music plays an important role in Britain. Say Why?
This is because Britain is a musical nation and it is said that the most musically intelligent audiences are found there.
2) What is the attitude of British people towards music?
They are very found of music and they her follow much.
3) Covent Garden is considered the most famous London opera house. Why?
Because most of famous opera seinger performed here.
4) Can you name some famous London concert halls?
There are: The Royal Festival Hall, The Barbican hall, and The Royal Opera House.
5) In Great Britain are there theatres only in London? Give a full answer.
No, because there are theatres also Leads, Baths and Edingurgh.
6) Why are British pop groups so weel known?
Because British has become the centre of pop group and they are dominated the world charts.
Fill in the blanks
1) Music plays an important role in british life and concerts attract large crowds of people.
2) The music of the Beatles is still very popular all over the world.
3) London has a long tradition of classical music and every night international musicians perform in the concert hall and opera house.